When several groups form in an area, they soon realize that they can better perform certain together rather than separately. So the groups may form an intergroup that is directly responsible to the groups it serves. Intergroups spring from a need to provide service for a number of local groups and better information about OA in a community (adapted from OA Handbook for Members, Groups, Intergroups).
Typical services provided by an intergroup are:
- Providing a central telephone number for information about OA and the local meetings
- Publishing regular newsletters or bulletins to keep groups informed about each other and upcoming OA events
- Coordinating speakers, public information and contact with the professional community
- Maintaining a supply of OA literature and OA and AA books
- Sending delegates to regional assemblies and the World Service Business Conference
From the CHI-WIF Bylaws, Article II – Purpose, the purpose of the CHI-WIF Intergroup is:
- To aid those with the problem of compulsive eating through the 12 Steps of OA.
- To be guardian of the 12 Steps, 12 Traditions, and 12 Concepts of OA.
- To coordinate and facilitate OA activities common to its membership.
- To serve and represent the OA groups for which the Intergroup is formed.